CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

Message from the Corbster

Ha, you weren't expecting it. Imagine being me.

It's 3pm. A clear day. And out of that clear blue sky I'm invited to take a walk to HR (Heads Removed). I honestly thought I was going to sign some papers to do with leaving.

Then they mentioned two blog comments I'd made, something was said about "upstairs" and "not happy", and then there was a flash of silver and the feeling of cold steel in my back.

The executioner followed me back to my desk and had to stand there and watch me pack up, to make sure I didn't access the system - ie, write any kind of farewell on my blog - and then walked me out of the building, took my pass and, bizarrely, wished me all the best.

It was all surreal, and so cruel, nasty and unnecessary. I had 16 working hours left in that company, they probably could have let me work it out, and just taken the blog away. But. No.

The collection for my present was stopped and the farewell front page mockup torn up. Management called staff together and gave a speech indicating I was the devil and was probably going to burn in hell.

I can't go into details about the farewell drinks party last night, because it makes me feel ill. Still.

3 comments:

Annemarie of Holland said...

Yes, well, Corby, you ARE the devil of course, and you WILL burn in hell - which is why we love you so much! At least I think we should all make an effort to avoid ending up in heaven, where good, sound people like your former superiors will be hanging out, bored stiff because everybody with a sense of humor will be in your department, happily insulting each other until the next round of drinks comes by.

Sounds like you're better off without people like that "upstairs". Was the HR routine the "crap news" you got the other day? I prefer to think it had nothing to do with colonic irrigation...

Anon said...

Wow Stephen, whoever is in HR is so pathetic and childish. And they stopped the present collection!! Wow, is someone jealous bigtime of you or what? I think of all the chit that has been in the paper over the years and yet for a couple of comments they hang you. What goes around comes around, but four fold i think it is. Their time will come.

Malibu I'm so thankful you got this site up and running as early as you did, you're a lifesaver !!

the rodster said...

To all MOS bloggers, due to the brilliant idea of Malibu, you get the chance to either farewell MOS or keep in contact with him. He was unable to access his computer at News Ltd because Monty had him removed before he could post his last blog in tomorrow's paper. I guess Monty is either thin skinned or jealous. I just can't get ocer the fact that Stephen wasn't given the chance to say goodbye to people in the building. When he told me, I was shocked, but I am thankful to Malibu because she allowed me to relay his email address to her.